Our site uses cookies

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information, called “cookies” on your device. Find out more in our cookie policy. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

How best to obtain a UK visa for Christmas (take note, Santa)

A few weeks ago, a generously proportioned, hirsute and rather jovial individual sought our advice in relation to some cross-border travel he was contemplating over the Christmas period. He explained that he wished to enter the UK on 24 December, and leave not later than 25 December, for the purpose of distributing small items to individuals who had been 'good'.

He would enter by private air transport, bringing with him six reindeer, some assistants (elves) and possibly his wife. As with any potential new client, it was essential to identify the areas on which he might need advice, and we agreed that, in his case, the main concerns were immigration (for him, his employees, pets and dependants), personal tax status, and customs duty and VAT issues.

To read the article in full go to Spear's blog

Related Expertise

Advice to private banks Immigration Investor visas Private Wealth

Related in brief posts

Exploring the consultation and review on the taxation of trusts

HMRC has launched a consultation on a review of the government's principles for taxing trusts. Fiona Poole examines the review in more detail.

Blinded by transparency: the UK's new property register

In a bid for ever-increasing transparency, the UK government intends to continue the trend with the introduction of a further beneficial ownership register.

Rags to riches and back again

Eesha Arora and Sophie Wettern offer some ideas for navigating intergenerational conflicts in wealthy families