Our site uses cookies

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information, called “cookies” on your device. Find out more in our cookie policy. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

EU Settlement Scheme – applications closing soon

Now that the UK has left the EU, if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who has lived in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 and you wish to continue living here, you will need to make an application to the EU Settled Status Scheme.

You do not need to apply if you already have indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK, or if you have Irish citizenship.

Application process

The application is made online and your ID and documents will be checked and submitted using the EU Exit: ID Document Check app which is compatible with an Android phone or an iPhone 7 or above.

It is free to apply to the scheme. Via the app, you will need to provide proof of identity (i.e. a valid passport or national identity card) and a digital photo of your face.

The Home Office will tell you when you apply whether you need to provide any additional documents to show proof of residence in the UK.

The result of your application will usually be emailed to you in a letter from the Home Office.

Settled and Pre-Settled Status

If your application is successful, you will be granted ‘settled status’ if you have already lived in the UK for a continuous five year period, or ‘pre-settled status’ if you have not yet reached five years. Continuous residence can be broken if you have lived outside the UK for more than six months in any 12 month period.

Pre-settled status allows you to stay in the UK for a further five years (from the date you are granted the status). At the end of that five year period, you can apply to switch to settled status so long as you have five years continuous residence.

You will need to show evidence of your period of continuous residence when you apply. This could be documents such as bank statements, council tax bills, university letters or qualification certificates. For many settled status applicants, the Home Office can conduct an automated check using your National Insurance number and you will not need to provide any additional proof.

Family members

When applying for your children, each child must have their own application (but may use your email address). You will be able to ‘link’ your child’s application to yours meaning if your own application is successful, your child will get the same status as you. Therefore, it is important to submit your own application before you submit your children’s.

You can apply as the family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen if they started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. The criteria for a family relationship broadly includes:

The spouse/civil partner/unmarried partner of an EU, EAA or Swiss citizen (the relationship must have started by 31 December 2020 and still exist) *

  • A child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years
  • Dependent child over the age of 21
  • Dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent

You will need to provide documentary proof of your relationship.

* Spouses/civil partners of Swiss nationals (who arrived in the UK by 31 December 2020) may join them here and apply via the Settlement Scheme until December 2025.


Use the link below to submit your online application by 30 June 2021:


If you have any questions, or would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to advise on or help with any aspect of your application, please speak to your usual contact at Maurice Turnor Gardner LLP or email us at info@mtgllp.com.

These notes do not contain or constitute legal advice, and no reliance should be placed on them. 


Related Expertise


Related in brief posts

What's new in the EU: Asset ownership after Brexit.

As the UK settles into its new role as a ‘third country’ in the wake of 31 December 2020, Britons need to explore and understand the new rules relating to their much-loved French gîte, Swiss chalet or Mediterranean yacht.

What's new in the EU?

As restrictions begin to lift in the UK, thoughts are turning to overseas travel. However, the world of international tourism is very different to that in February 2020. We must consider both the impact of the pandemic, and the implications of Brexit.

International Students: A new route for graduates

The Graduate Route Visa provides a route for international students who, having completed an undergraduate (or higher) level degree at a UK Higher Education Provider, can now apply to remain in the UK from 1 July 2021.