Catherine Pugsley Senior Associate
Catherine advises international and UK based private clients, families and trustees on a number of matters including succession and estate planning, UK personal taxation and trust law.
Her work often involves advising on complex cross-border structures and estates comprising international tax and trust issues. She also has experience advising on various asset holding structures for the preservation of assets and for succession planning purposes both in the UK and internationally.
Catherine was previously registered as a foreign lawyer with the Italian Law Society and advised on cross border issues between the UK and Italy including:
- succession and estate planning for cross border probate
- the administration of cross border estates
- Italian Title transfer of real estate following divorce or death with appropriate tax compliance in Italy
- applications to the English Court of Protection for British nationals resident in Italy and bi-lingual powers of attorney so that the Attorneys can be registered in Italy
- advising on the preparation of bi-lingual contracts for the repatriation of art to Italy
- administering Italian Estates to benefit English Charities
- the use of English law bare trusts for holding Italian residential real estate for UK succession planning and arranging Italian title transfer to reflect UK succession planning
- advising on English marriage contracts and bigamy for Italian divorce proceedings
- advising on asset tracing in offshore jurisdictions in Italian divorce proceedings
Catherine holds a STEP diploma in Cross border succession which she passed with distinction
Catherine qualified as an English solicitor in September 1998 has also worked in the Rome offices of Allen & Overy and Freshfields where she was a capital markets lawyer advising on securitisations and bond issues into the Italian market.
Catherine speaks Italian and has extensive experience working in Italy, particularly in the context of cross border estate planning, succession and probate.