Claire has particular experience of advising entrepreneurial high-net worth individuals from the high-growth economies in relation to pre-immigration planning strategies and in advising the trustees of offshore structures on UK tax issues. She also advises on general trust issues and contentious matters.
Recent experience includes:
- advising high-net worth
individuals on moving to the UK, including the statutory residence test, domicile, the tax implications of being UK resident but non-domiciled, the remittance basis of taxation, rebasing of significant assets pre-residence and establishing tax efficient offshore trust structures for real estate, business assets, yachts and artwork;
- advising on the alternative holding structures for high-value UK residential property and restructuring existing holding structures in light of the recent tax changes applicable to such property;
- advising two separate Middle Eastern families on
establishing offshore trusts and underlying companies to hold business assets
and family investments worth billions of pounds, with a focus on asset
protection and succession;
- advising a high profile Middle Eastern family,
with complex structures, on the restructuring required before the settlor
becomes UK resident;
- advising UK resident individuals approaching
deemed domicile for UK IHT purposes on the benefits of excluded property trusts
and implementing that planning;
- advising UK resident individuals on leaving the
UK, including advice on the temporary non-residence rules;
- advising UK resident beneficiaries on the tax
implications of receiving distributions and benefits from offshore structures;
- advising individuals and trustees on the FATCA
and CRS regimes.
Claire also has experience in relation to international estate planning, including drafting wills and lasting powers of attorney and advising on the inheritance tax implications of passing assets to the next generation and cross-border issues.
Claire advises executors, trustees and beneficiaries on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious issues.
Our Private Wealth expertise
Our Private Wealth team