Ed advises UK and international individuals, trustees and private banks on a range of traditional and more complex private client matters. His experience ranges from traditional estate planning (including testamentary planning, lasting powers of attorney and probate) to more complex family succession and taxation matters.
He regularly advises on the creation, administration and taxation of trusts (both in the UK and outside the UK) in order to achieve a variety of goals, from traditional succession planning, to achieving protection under international investment treaties. He frequently advises on the complex trust law issues that arise out of existing trusts.
Much of Ed’s work is international in nature, and he has substantial experience of advising in relation to difficult conflicts of law issues, including the new Brussels IV Regulation, in the context of international trusts and succession planning.
He frequently advises individuals who are planning to become tax resident and/or domiciled in the United Kingdom on personal estate planning that may need to be considered prior to arrival, as well as the scope and impact of UK taxation that will apply to them when they become resident. He has a particular interest in the UK aspect of tax planning for individuals with connections to continental Europe and the Middle East.
In addition to advising on non-contentious tax and estate planning, Ed has experience of high-profile and highly sensitive tax investigations.
Recent experience includes:
• Establishing dynastic trusts for a number of Middle-Eastern families;
• Advising on the use of trusts to access investment protection under various bilateral investment treaties;
• Advising on the tax consequences associated with the acquisition of high-value residential and commercial property and artwork in the UK;
• Advising trustees on complex UK taxation issues associated with a relocation of certain beneficiaries to the UK;
• Advising an individual on potential personal exposure as guarantor under a multi-million dollar loan facility; and
• Advising on the impact of the proposed “Brussels IV” Regulation and general conflicts of law principles in relation to a complex multi-jurisdictional estate.
Ed was recently described by the Legal 500 Directory as "very strong" in this area.
Our Private Wealth expertise
Our Private Wealth team